Friday 17 June 2016

Coffee pod machines: Nespresso vs Dolce Gusto


I'm currently in Prague attending a radiology congress, staying in an AirBnB apartment. This one is comes equipped with a Nescafé Dolce Gusto coffee machine. As it happens, the last AirBnB apartment I stayed in, in Vienna, where I was attending another radiology congress, came with a Nespresso machine. I have thus had the opportunity to compare the two systems.

I did wonder a little about the difference between the two products, as both used capsules made by Nestlé. Of the two, Nepresso is the better known and more heavily advertised, endorsed on television by the likes of George Clooney. With Nespresso, you can get an enormous range of different coffee capsules, including limited-edition temporary ones. There are grand, swanky Nespresso shops, and although the machines vary in price, they are clearly aimed at the higher end of the market, with some concessions for buyers lower down the food chain. It is said that some upmarket chefs use Nespresso machines in their restaurants since they work out cheaper than hiring a barista.

Dolce Gusto machines seem to be aimed at the more modest end of the market, and they are cheaper than the Nespresso equivalents. The range of capsules is more limited, but the machines also make cold drinks and tea. You can get also get capsules for things like cappuccino, with one coffee pod and one milk pod, whereas with Nespresso it's coffee only, and you have to add the milk yourself. Dolce Gusto machines and pods all have the word Nescafé displayed prominently in their packaging and advertising, so the product is clearly aimed at people who are not snotty about instant coffee.

The machines vary slightly in the way they are operated, but both are quick and simple to use. What about the coffee? I tried a range of pods from Nespresso when I was in Vienna. In my current apartment I have so far tried the standard espresso, lungo and cappuccino pods. I think the Dolce Gusto coffee is pretty good, with a mellow, rich flavour. It's every bit as good as Nespresso, and better than some of the Nespresso capsules I have tried. 

If you wanted to buy a coffee capsule machine for your small office, Dolce Gusto might be a better choice because the coffee would be just as good as that from Nespresso, if not better, and you'd be able to get a wider variety of beverages, like caramel latte macchiato, or Marrakesh style tea.

If you really wanted to be able to choose from a really wide selection of pods, you might be prepared to pay the premium for a Nespresso, but then if you cared that much, perhaps you'd want to prepare the coffee yourself from beans, with a proper coffee maker. Of course there's more snob value to a Nespresso, and I'm sure that would mean a lot to some people, the sort that used to scoff at the Iron-Curtain era Skoda I used to drive. 

Would I get one of these? I think not. I've owned earlier versions of coffee pod machines in the past, but now my preferred method of making coffee at home is a plunge pot, also known by some people as a "French Press" (although as far as I know it's not a French invention). 40-50 g of coffee in 1.25 litres of water at 93C gives good results. My preference is for full bodied coffee with low acidity. Currently I'm drinking Orang Utan, from Sumatra, which is excellent and whose profits help to fund Orang Utan conservation. If you can't get hold of it or want something more economical, IKEA dark roast is excellent. If I want espresso at home, I do have a Rok, a British-made device which works rather well (see link). Capsule machines are convenient but they work out quite expensive, and generate more waste, even if some of the capsules can be recycled to some extent. My current system works well for me at home, so even though I've enjoyed using these gadgets while away, I won't be buying one.

11 comments:

julie sasha said...

we have found some very best nespresso machines reviews for nespresso machine 2019

reena said...

Amazing nice work. This is very useful article. Thank you. For more

Viraj said...

Good work. thank you for such kind of great information. For More

Delio Lizama said...

buy adderall online
buy valium online
buy hydrocodone online
buy pain killers online
buy vyvanse
buy vyvanse
buy sleeping pills online
order pain pills online



buy backwoods online
dankwood
dankwoods
dankwood blunt
dankwoods for sale
buy dankwood online
backwoods prerolls
cereal carts
exotic carts
vape dank buy
vape dank review
dankwoods backwoods
dankwoods carts
mario carts
dank vapes full carts
buy vape dank
dankwoods flavors
buy kingpen online
buy mario carts
buy brass knuckles online
buy dankwoods

haseeb ali said...

I have noticed that if I make a hot cup of coffee it is common to have kamikaze fruit flies dive bomb into it. I think they can see the heat in the liquid. Once the coffee sits after this occurs I dont ever see any dive bomb into it again... coffee grinder

Online Gaming Forum said...

I like your way how you describe for best nespresso capsules for lattes Check out here

13IT Australia said...


Looking for perfect coffee maker for your home or office? Buy coffee machines Online Australia from reputed store to avail amazing discounts. 13IT Australia offers wide range of coffee makers from leading brands.

xelsis espresso machine said...


Thank you for the post! I just finished reading it up and am very excited to xelsis espresso machine the following series. Just wanted to let you know that your posts/thoughts/articles give me invaluable insights! I cannot really be thankful enough for all that you do! Currently finishing up your Narratives & Numbers as well. What a Gem as well!

mikethomson said...

Positive site, where did u come up with the information on this posting? I'm pleased I discovered it though, ill be checking back soon to find out what additional posts you include. Invite me for Coffee

Reviewdrean said...

Such an Amazing Post I read it well I would recommend it all

coffee machine
coffee maker
The coffee maker
coffee making machine
the coffee making machine

James Zicrov said...

Your blog on
coffee espresso machine is truly amazing! I appreciate how you've covered everything, Keep up the great work, and I'll definitely be coming back for more coffee-related wisdom!